Saturday, December 01, 2007

Welcome to the 'Dork' Side ...

So finally adjusting to Overland Park, Kansas.

Its been a gruelling journey and a chilly weather so far. An ice storm this last weekend and all plans of touring the city 'washed away', quite literally. And today, a blast from the past - i mean another of those winter winds that freeze you like an icicle. I forgot to wear my jacket while on the way to the cafeteria (which is about a 3min walk from my office). Only God knows how i made it there alive. Felt like those sci-fi movie characters when they throw liquid nitrogen on you.

So what do i find different over the roughly 10 days that i have spent here?
Probably not much.

Contrary to expectations, OP seems quite populated. There are definitely people here, and they travel in cars, which get stuck in traffic jams. So quite a normal little town. Haven't seen any farm animals though yet, except on the dining menu, ofcourse.

From my airhostess to the lady next to me in the cab queue - Kansas city has greeted me with its best. You know what they say best about orchids and camellia; they bloom the best in winter.
An example of my masquerade was me missing my cab at the airport, chit chatting away next to this gorgeous female i talk about. We were so engrossed in discussions, i refused to notice the cab i had called. Had to order another one.

So when my friends asked me if going by the sacred American customs i asked for the girl's number - i quipped - she lives in Kansas City, Missouri and i in Kansas City, Kansas - how am i to bridge the state gap to ask her out, especially without a conveyance.

Oh well, did i mention though that OP has a radius of 20 min from its town plaza to the border, which effectively means zilch and which means its all walkable. Again, especially given that it has a population of about 150K only and the odds of finding any working person withing a 5min walking radius is 1 of 10 (since 10% of the population of Kansas City works in Sprint Nextel Corp, which is just opposite my place, and needless to mention so did the brunette in question). Actually make it 1 in 8 - i think 2.5% of the population works in the YRC and Applebee HQs.

So come to think about it. I did have the chance to ask out a great looking (and for once smart, given her stunning looks) single girl, and i didnt. You see, whatever place it be, people are all the same. And so am I.

As Skywalker Senior would put it - Welcome once again to the 'Dork' Side ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dork side :D guffaw guffaw

Unknown said...

where and how was this cheeze feeling relived?? :)