Monday, November 09, 2009

And Then There Were None ...

My tribute to the best nineteen folks i have worked with till date and the four best spent days of my life here at IIM-A

A cold winter month, a dog-day afternoon
Empty sights galore, silent lies the tune
No mortal awake, the golden sun passes me by
Am I anxious or elated, rather relieved with a sigh !

Standing here today, the 5th of November not forgot
I travel back in time, four days to the dot
And I see – teeming hundreds, thronging the hallowed hall
Three hundred of the bravest, responding to a recruiter’s call

Like Spartans they come, flocking to the Central field
All charged, some steady – a single resume, their naked shield
Closed doors await, a burden of forty minutes to bear
They are for that instant the foci, all that is they care

And the process repeats, but recruiters they all stay the same
The vanquished Spartan his death awaits – he feels it a mockery of the game
When hark, what is this he sees – an offer comes waltzing by
Unexpected, unseen – a windfall from the sky

The jubilation of glory for this one, it pains me to see
I think of the two hundred ninety nine, yet chained – waiting to be free
But then the day wears on, closer the evening draws
I see them all firm and resolute, none yet clutching at the straws

And it strengthens the resolve, like an oak amidst the greens
Of the twenty who lay hidden, working behind the scenes
For tomorrow will be another day, we know it would be great
Unto us the task is set, we carry this burden of fate

So when I wake up, the glaring sun in my eye
One more offer I say to me, I will not give in without a try
Finally this circle of life and death, it draws towards an end
The fourth day sets down, the last mile before the bend

And so it ends for us, victory approacheth nigh
The last Spartan gladly returns, we celebrate Christmas in July
We now know with all delight, that when the sun shall rise
The competition waits on the starting line, while we bag the prize

The heroics of a batch written in gold, adorn the institute shelves
Of 20 silent shrouds – their work done – they say, we did it ourselves
But for us the moments shared, are not too far and few
No person left unplaced, zero the length of the queue

It feels proud, when asked today – how good, the work was done
We started with three hundred, then in the end There Were None …

7 comments:

neha said...

awesomeness free of charge:)

exorcist_001 said...

awesome hai!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I think polite post. Especially the designation attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think u shdnt discount that if nomura did not want to come.. they wudnt have.. u didnt get them.. they came.. hw many firms were there that came only to A?
Blackstone went to B for summers! They considered A and B for same role in finals.. what does that mean? B won the war for Blackstone. Credit Suisse too! Goldman too hired more from B and for divisions which didnot chose to come to A..
It is really sad that some ppl mistake their luck as their hardwork!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.